FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
GRAND OLD DAY 2018 CELEBRATES 45 YEARS – Frequently Asked Questions
- Grand Old Day is one day and always the first Sunday in June
- Mayor Melvin Carter is the Community Grand Marshal
- Twin Cities Live is the Media Grand Marshal
- Grand Market is presented by All Energy Solar
- Art vendors are spread throughout event again this year
- F1rst Wrestlers will host a series of matches at the US Bank lot
- Again this year – pre-sale on-line ticketing for wristbands for $7 through 6 p.m. on June 1 on Eventbrite
- Attendees can purchase wristbands for $10 day of at the wristband booths.
- In addition to the 3 bar festival beer gardens (Billy’s, Red Rabbit, & Dixies), GABA will host 3 of our own beer gardens
- F1rst Wrestlers @ US Bank 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Boogie Wonderland @ Walgreens at 2 p.m.
- Pier 1 will have house music, beer and interactive fun. Cayman Jack will be serving their brand of mojitos and margaritas.
We love our four-legged friends, but we can’t allow them on the avenue during Grand Old Day. Bring them to our Paws on Grand event in August where it’s all about them.
Portable restrooms are on most blocks of Grand between Dale and Dunlap.
ADA compliant restrooms are located near these intersections: St. Albans, Avon, Victoria, Chatsworth, Syndicate, Hamline, Snelling, Macalester and Cambridge.
First Aid Stations are indicated on the Event Guide, and located at Grand & Chatsworth, Grand & Albert, and Grand & Cambridge. For immediate assistance seek help from a police officer. For life-threatening emergencies call 911.
ATMs are located all along Grand – see event day map at our four information booths. Locations include:
- Dixie’s on Grand, 695 Grand
- Walgreen’s, 734 Grand
- Coulee Bank, 742 Grand
- Wild Onion, 788 Grand
- Bonfire, 850 Grand
- Billy’s on Grand, 857 Grand (2 machines)
- Super America, 952 Grand
- Bank Cherokee, 985 Grand
- US Bank, 1071 Grand (4 machines)
- Kowalski’s Market, 1261 Grand
- Green Mill, 1342 Grand
- Macalester College Campus Center (Lower Level), 1600 Grand
- Wells Fargo, 1827 Grand
- Super America, 56 Snelling N (2 blocks N of Grand)
Neighborhood permit parking is still enforced. People risk being ticketed if they park in restricted areas. Parking is available in the University of St. Thomas parking ramp at Grand & Cretin. A free shuttle will run during the day along Summit Avenue. See shuttle bus (below). Or guests can download a free Metro Transit pass for the day on grandave.com.
Nursing Mothers Tent:
Located at 968 Grand between Chatsworth and Milton in front of Health Foundations, on south side of street. There is a second location at 1656 Grand on the south side of the street, near the Family Stage.
Guests can park for free at the University of St. Thomas parking ramp at Grand & Cretin. Buses will operate on Summit Avenue between Cretin and Grotto. Rides are free to event goers. Trolleys will stop on the corners of Grotto, Oxford, Syndicate, Saratoga on Summit.
Grand Old Day is held annually on the first Sunday in June. This year’s event is Sunday, June 3, 2018. Rain or shine!
Grand Old Day attendance averages about 250,000 guests.
2018 is the event’s 45th year.
Grand Old Day is produced by the Grand Avenue Business Association as its annual fundraiser to market and advocate for its members and Grand Avenue
Hours are 8:30 am-7:00 pm.in the Entertainment District (Dale St. to Victoria)
8:00 am to 6:00 pm between (Victoria and Snelling) 8:00 am to 5 pm (Snelling to Wheeler)
New & Important in 2018:
- Parade begins at 9:30am. The parade runs east to west – from Dale to Wheeler.
Saint Paul Maners of Cretin, Fairview, Saratoga, Syndicate, Oxford, Victoria, and Grotto. The shuttle will operate between 9am – 7pm. Expect to wait 30 to 45 minutes for shuttles, as Summit becomes very congested during the event.
Volunteers should check in at the Operations tent at Grand & Chatsworth – in the BankCherokee parking lot. See the event guide map – it is identified as “Volunteer Check-In”. If there are any questions that volunteer staff members or Fanfare representatives are not able to answer call the operations tent at (763) 232-7355.
- 9:30 a.m. start- travels from Dale to Fairview (east to west)
- Last unit of the parade will cross Wheeler sometime between 11:30-12pm.
Vehicles can cross Grand Avenue at Dale, Lexington, Snelling and Fairview Avenues. Police will be there to help both cars and pedestrians cross.
GRAND OLD DAY DISTRICTS
Kinderberry Hill Family Fun District, Health & Wellness District, Entertainment District, Grand Day Market presented by All Energy Solar.
Kinderberry Hill Family Fun District:
Located between Snelling & Wheeler
- Think kids adventure zone – Kids activities are located at Ramsey Jr. High at Grand and Cambridge:
- Inflatables ($15 wristband required)
- Pony rides (charge)
- Face painting
- Water wars (charge)
- Free make and take crafts
- Free roaming entertainment
- Commonwealth Properties Family Fun Stage (free) with live entertainment, demonstration and activities
Sports & Wellness District:
Located between Lexington & Snelling
Includes interactive games and fun from:
- iLove Kickboxing
- Minnesota Wild
- Minnesota United
- Minnesota Timberwolves & Lynx
- Saint Paul Saints
Located between Dunlap and Dale.
- Features 6 festival beer gardens with a variety of performers & alcoholic beverages for sale.
- See event guide map for performances at each stage.
- Stages are located at Dixie’s, Pier 1, Walgreens, Red Rabbit, Billy’s and US Bank.
- Performance times are noon–7pm.
- Wristbands are available at booths near the entrance to festival gardens for $10.00 to those 21 and over with a valid ID.
- Anyone under the age of 21 (including children) are not allowed to enter the beer gardens at Billy’s, Red Rabbit, Pier I lot or Walgreens lot. This was a decision made by the Grand Avenue Business Association and the City of St. Paul to ensure safety for everyone.
- Wristband is required for festival garden entrance.
- One wristband will gain you admittance into every garden.
- After 7 p.m. wristbands will no longer be sold and restaurants are to resume their own carding if necessary. Last call is at 6:45 p.m.
- Outdoor liquor/beer sales and music end at 5PM in US Bank, Pier I and Walgreens festival gardens. Dixie’s, Red Rabbit and Billy’s will operate until 7 PM
- Only pre-approved vendors are allowed to sell food or merchandise or distribute information.
- If vendors have been approved, they will have a bright blue “Grand Old Day” permit displayed in their booth.
- No one else is allowed to set up booths on the Avenue or within 2000 feet of the Avenue.
- Vendors may not walk around the festival without a mobile marketing permit.
- For health and insurance reasons, private Lemonade stands and bake sales are prohibited.